How to make best use of Historic Public Houses...as a writer...

Hey guys;

There have been several posts of late on the writers' groups that I interact with, regarding influences and triggers that prompt stories to be written. As a guy with strong historical and local interests, I always think that my first stop when mapping out my next novel, is the list of public houses, geographically, that existed at the time.

I think of 'Jamaica Inn' and 'The Admiral Benbow' - each of which conjours up a vivid image of a time and a place, and of a community of some interest, in famous classics.

I have a long list of Leicester Pubs, which I can date by cross-referencing to Trade Directories and Census records, whose names are evocative, and add a sense of time and place.

With my novels featuring Police and Criminals, they are a natural stomping ground for my characters, and frequent hangouts take place within them.

Look through some of the Historical Trade directories that are available when you next chose a location, and see what exists / existed, and see what thoughts it conjours?

I have just updated my new list for my next (third) book in my series and have over five hundred for the period around 1852-5 and names like 'Admiral Rodney' , 'The British Lion', 'The Eight Bells' and 'The Cape of Good Hope' make me want to include them!

I can just picture +Chaunce Stanton, a connoisseur of fine ales, hiding in a dark corner, listening intently, soaking up gossip and scandal, and keeping an ear out for their dark tales!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Some images of The old Borough of Leicester circa the time of 'The Borough Boys'...

The first of my author interviews - Megan Denby - 'A thistle in the mist'.

The second of my current Author interviews - Mr Chaunce Stanton - a day early, owing to family pressures!